
Reports link Sunderland with a Premier League defender and prolific European striker as summer plans gather pace.
Sunderland are being linked with a potential double summer swoop, with reports claiming the Black Cats are monitoring both a Premier League centre-back and one of Europe’s most prolific emerging forwards.
According to separate reports from TEAMtalk, Sunderland are among the clubs tracking Bournemouth defender Marcos Senesi and Union Saint-Gilloise striker Promise David as director of football Florent Ghisolfi continues shaping plans for the next transfer window.
Sunderland named in Marcos Senesi free-transfer race
TEAMtalk report that Sunderland have registered interest in AFC Bournemouth centre-back Marcos Senesi, who is out of contract at the end of the season and expected to leave on a free transfer. The 28-year-old has been a consistent performer since arriving from Feyenoord in 2022, starting every Premier League match he has been available for this term and helping Bournemouth record five clean sheets in 25 appearances.
The report claims Sunderland have held discussions with Senesi’s camp alongside Tottenham, Everton, Aston Villa and Newcastle United. However, Barcelona are described as leading the race, with Atletico Madrid, Juventus and Napoli also credited with interest.
Barcelona are said to have accelerated negotiations in recent weeks, and with Senesi available on a Bosman deal, competition is expected to intensify. For Sunderland, any move would represent a significant statement of intent as they look to strengthen defensively in the Premier League era.
Promise David monitored as West Ham push ahead
In a separate report, TEAMtalk claim Sunderland are also among the clubs closely watching Union Saint-Gilloise striker Promise David. The 24-year-old has scored 24 goals in his debut season in Belgium and followed that up with a further 15 this term, numbers that have drawn widespread attention across Europe.

West Ham are described as the most advanced suitor at this stage, having held initial talks, while Newcastle, Leeds and Brighton are also said to be monitoring the forward. Sunderland are reported to have sent scouts to Belgium on multiple occasions, returning with positive assessments of a striker praised for his physical profile and ability to operate across the front line. David is also expected to feature for Canada at the upcoming World Cup under Jesse Marsch, having previously represented Nigeria at under-23 level.
Sunderland’s recruitment direction taking shape
While there is no suggestion that deals are close, the links underline the type of profile Sunderland are said to be exploring under Ghisolfi – a blend of established top-flight experience and young talent.
Whether either move progresses remains uncertain, particularly with heavyweight European competition. But if reports are accurate, Sunderland’s name is firmly in the mix for two eye-catching additions ahead of the summer window.
Sunderland are next in action against Fulham in the Premier League at the Stadium of Light on Sunday as the Black Cats look to bounce back from successive league defeats against Arsenal and Liverpool.









Discussion about this post